Saturday, June 9, 2012

A New Reel, Then ...

Hi there,

Not long ago, I got a new fishing reel.
And it is so far, a good story from start to finish.
Actually, I didn't bought the reel, but won it in a competition.
The North Australian Fishing and Outdoors, magazine had a competition to win a Daiwa Cosatal Barra 135 bait caster reel, and I won it.
The competition has been running for some time, with a reel being given away every month, and is still going strong in the current issue of the magazine. (If you tried, you could be the next winner of a Daiwa Reel).
For a few month in a row, I had entered the comp., hopping to win, as I have never owned or fished with a Daiwa reel, and they are supposed to be very good.
It is then very easy to understand how excited I was upon learning the good news, and I couldn't wait to received my new reel.
It arrived and was beautiful, blue and gold, but catastrophe! This is a right handed reel, and I use left handed ones...

Daiwa Coastal Barra 135.

The reality of it hit me hard, this is a reel that only come in the right handed version...
It was smooth and the spool seemed to turn for ever with just a little push from the thumb...
But the handle was definitively on the wrong side...
What to do?
I started to think that maybe I could swap it for a fishing rod, to replace the one that I broke the previous month.
So I started to monitor the FFF forum and other places to see if any one had a fishing rod for sale, hopping to propose a swap.
And it happened, a member for the FFF wanted to get ride of a G.Loomis GL2 baitcaster rod, and I was after any good fishing rod. This one would have fitted the bill perfectly.
Once contacted the fellow was in fact very interested in trading his rod for a brand new reel, and even offered to come to my place in the very same afternoon to close the deal.
And this is how I got a new rod to replace my broken one.

My new fishing rod.

It was impossible to wait, I jumped on my pushbike and went to the closest beach where I could to try it. Fannie Bay was the destination, and the rod is here coupled to an Abu Garcia Revo Inshore reel. 
It casted very well, and I am now rather impatient to test it with a fish at the end of the line.
Here is a little photo to show you the beautiful place where I was doing my field testing. Yes it is hard, but someone had to do it...

Fannie Bay, Darwin Northern Australia.

Yes there is some more unpleasant place to go to for a quick flick, just to test a new fishing rod.

The only thing that bugs me a little in all this... Is that I have still never fished with a Daiwa fishing reel yet, even if I owned one for a few days...

But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

2 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

Think of it this way, if they don't want to make it in a left handed style, you don't want to use it. I am the same, if it is a bait caster or spinner I want it left handed wind.
Cheers

Rambling Expat said...

Hi Fish Whisperer,

It is true that I definitively prefer reels in the left handed style, but I would have loved to try to fish with a Daiwa, I have never tried any of their reels.

And yes I don't understand why some reels comes only in right handed side...

Have a good day,
Me.