Sunday, June 26, 2011

Two outings in the same day, for no fishes...

Hi there,


Yes you read it right, I was lucky enough to do both in the same day: East Point from the rocks in the morning, and East Point from the sea in the evening...
And what did I had for dinner later in the evening of this glorious day, you may ask?
Chicken soup because I could not get any good fish in two fishing session!


So now you know, no need to hurry to the pics...


In fact I should have known from the start that it was going to be a beautiful day, but without any glory on the fishing front.
First I woke up early, got out of a nice and warm bed, to got in the dark and cold night to one of my favourite land based spot...
And what did I found on my way to it?
A closed door:


Bad fishing omen

So yes when you arrive full of anticipation and found a door that should have been open about an hour ago closed...
Any wise man would read it as a sign from the fishing gods, and quietly return to his beloved, and a warm bed...
I wasn't wise, I was greedy and saw it as a challenge.
So I quietly sat and waited...
Finally a guy came and opened the door, just as I had started to leave, so I though: Great now the action will start!


Well it didn't...


First I arrived there while it was still dark.
And walking on the rocks, I started to see crocodiles every where:
" No there was no dead tree there the last time I was here, this must be a croc! Flash of the torch light on it: Driftwood...
Ho my god this one is surly a croc! Flash of the torch light on it: It just a rock that must have been there for the past 80 000 years..."
And so on, I guess you start to see the picture by now... I was just croc obsessed and could not relax as I had planned too...


And when the first light finally came I started by using a big popper and in the first few cast I saw a very big fish come to it and splash around it and bump it a few time, but it didn't hook. I don't know what it was but was big enough to get my heart racing...
And that was the one and only action I got for my effort for the morning...
Nothing else.


The water was clear, flat, and no wind it should have been a perfect morning.


So I went back home relatively early and spend the rest of the day with my family.


Then in the afternoon my friend Carl called me and asked what I was up to...
This is often a sign that the next question is going to be: "Do you want to go fishing?"
And it was !
So a quick plan was made to hit East Point from his boat in the end of the afternoon early evening.


So this is what we did...
And the idea was that from the boat we would be able to target the school of Tuna, Mackerels or Queenfish that I didn't saw in the morning.
Well, like in the morning, flat and calm sea, very clear water, and not a bird or fish in view... Like a beautiful but deserted sea...


The no fish sunset.


Not to be defeated, we though that we would catch some little reefies and use them as live bait all the while keeping some rod at the ready with chrome slices for when the pelagics would come...
Yes we did got some reefies and used them, but the pelagics never came.


We were entertained by all the little reefies, mostly Parrot Fish and Stripy that kept eating our squid bait, but the big line stayed untouched.
Then, I started to see the tip of my rod with the Parrot Fish at the end (yes I was trying to replicate Double Haul great catch from last year at the same spot, same technic, same bait, that how he got a +14 kilos Spanish Mac...) starting to move. I looked at the float, and I could see it turing in circle, faster and faster...
Then... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzing the thing went of!
Quick I grabbed it and started what I would describe as a good and very honest fight, with us starting to shout and scream like two exited fisho who finally see with excitment the action for which they came for.
The call was made for a nice but not huge mac, but when the thing was finally under the boat, it made a very fast and powerful run, going in all direction at once!
Ha! 
This might actually be a very nice mac in fact!


Then I got him back to the boat again as we saw the colour of it...
A medium sized shark.
I should have taken a photo of it, as I don't know what specie was this one, it was not a black tip. 
He was kind of brownish, with a white belly and teeth big enough to already grab a finger or two if we weren't carful.
Even if I do enjoy eating a shark once in a while, with shark being more useful in the sea than in my plate, we released it.


And back to the little reefies action it was...
Then it was Carl's reel who started to sing, and this time we said: I bet you that this is another shark!
And... It was...
But as we were debating who was going to get the hook back from this new set of fangs, the shark obligingly spat back the bait and the hook.
Nice job!
So with that Carl didn't even had to rebait his line and just chucked it back in the water.


Five minutes latter, his line started to peel of again!
Another battle and another shark at the boat side...


Now some people would say: "Another stinking shark!"
But not us, in fact it was still some good and fun action.
And was certainly better than nothing.


And just as it came close to the boat, it did just what the last one had done and spitted the bait and hook again.
Talk about luck!


So once again Carl was able to chuck his line back in the drink without re-baiting it...


After another few minutes, his rod that he had just nonchalantly rested on the boat gunwale started to go: click... click... click....
So I told him: Your fishing rod is about to go for a swim...
So he took hold of it and immediately Bam! The pull was very sudden and very violent, and the line was broken before he had the time to do anything.
Yes if he hadn't grabbed it a second before it would definitively have gone for a swim...


So with the darkness descending upon us, we decided to go back home early, without any fish, but still having had a good time and a few good laugh on the water.


So What did I learnt from this two fishless trips in the same day?
Well, that sometime even in perfect conditions the fishes are not biting.


But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

No comments: